1. A scammer don’t usually write details such as number etc about themselves in their profile
2. They usually offer mouthwatering trade e.g selling bitcoin at 400/$ when others are selling at 450 or 500
3. Their mobile number if typed on google brings out information different from what they tell you
4. Their profile is usually new – a few months, a year, or 2 years old
5. They usually have little or no posts
6. They are always in a hurry during transactions.
7. They use different names and different accounts
8. Block your number immediately after you transfer money to them
9. They sometimes come in the name of religion, calling themselves covenant Child of God, committed Muslims.
10. The greedy scammer engages in legit xchange for some period in order to earn your trust.
11. They send money from a bank account different from their name. This is the MITM technique beware.
12. They write on the thread false scam story so that you would let your guard down when dealing with them
13. They send customized SMS claiming a trusted member vouch for them or false bank SMS alert
14. They sometimes claim they don’t have a Nairaland account in order to protect their moniker.
15. They sometimes claim they can not quote you because the antispam bot bans their username. Don’t be fooled
How to prevent yourself
1. Trade with a trusted xchanger ONLY – This is not a 100% guarantee though, but it’s more advisable than blind dealing OR
2. Obtain as many vouchers as possible before your deal OR
3. Use ESCROW in case you are trading with less trusted fellow
4. Research the identity of the fellow you want to trade with i.e don’t rely 100% on my list – confirm my list from your little research.